Thursday, February 26, 2015

Newspaper stories





I was always the one to forget, but for some reason I could never forget that day. It was the most important day of my life, they day my life actually started. The day I met her at the coffee shop, I kept staring at her and she would just look away, blush and look down. It was annoying how she didn’t stare at me back. I wanted to see her as a whole I wanted her to look at me. So I did it, I got up and walked close to her table and she stared longingly at me. She got up and told me “If you are going to stare at me like that the least you can do is ask for my number.” I couldn’t forget this moment, so I had to write it down. I ran home and started writing and I still am. I lived in a one bedroom apartment on the third floor of an old complex in the middle of New York.

 

She came over, dressed in a red velvet cropped top and high waisted black pants. She was art, thank god I dressed up, or I wouldn’t even be a fraction to her masterpiece. She asked if I was ready to go, and we went to a beautiful art museum, and drowned ourselves in coffee and overpriced sandwiches at the one place I will never forget. It was one of those stories you read and think that it will never happen to you and when it does, you tell a million people and they can’t believe you were the person to have this sort of a fairytale. She listened to my stories and never questioned my lifestyle or anything, she just listened and that was the most romantic thing to me.

 

A few weeks passed and I hadn’t heard from her, I called her and went by her apartment a couple of times. I even spent hours at our little coffee shop, hoping she would show up. One day, I got the nerve to knock on her door, and it was the scariest thing I could have done. She opened the door, and looked surprised to see me, it was like she didn’t even know who I was. I told her our story and what we had done and how much I thought of her. She just stared casually like this happened every day, but she was so fascinated in my story. She had amnesia and a serious case of it, she told me that a couple years ago there was a boyfriend that was not such a wonderful person and there was one particular night that got out of hand.

I was perplexed at how amazing she was, how we fit together so well. I wanted to know more about her and she was the only person I did not want to forget, and I was the only person she had forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. I like the descriptions you use in this piece, particulary: "She was art, thank god I dressed up, or I wouldn’t even be a fraction to her masterpiece."

    ReplyDelete