Thursday, February 19, 2015

Famous First and Last Lines


It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.

 

Paul Auster Born: Feb 03, 1947 (age 68)

In college he supported himself with freelance jobs and wrote articles for university magazines.

Published in 1985

This book is a New York Trilogy and a crime fiction, in the book its events are about a detective writer who ends up being in a detective story himself. It has a lot of plot twists especially when the writer wakes up from his own dream. It’s about a guy who lives part of his life in the past and he changes his name to forget about his past.

 

I think I would like to read this book because it sounds a lot like Inception. I also like mystery crime stories that have twists to them, it also could be like Shutter Island where he doesn’t realize who he truly is until the end.






The knife came down missing him by inches and he took off.


Joseph Heller: Born May 1 1923
He earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree from New York University in 1949.


Published in 1961


This book is about a guy in the military, the guy is sick and the doctors don't believe him so they make him stay.


I don't think I would read this because I don't like books/ movies about war.








2 comments:

  1. I also think I would enjoy the book that has the first quote you listed. I adore Inception and Shutter Island. Plot twists are my favorite parts of movies, and I love being able to piece things together correctly in my head, even if that means I need to watch the movie or read the book multiple times to truly understand. Those mysterious stories keep me on the edge of my seat, and if it is a book it is always hard to rip myself away from it. I especially love those kinds of stories if there is some kind of horror or violence in the plot, because it definitely sparks my interest more than just a mystery with hardly any suspense.
    I also agree that I would most likely not enjoy the book that the second quote you listed originates from. I can't stand reading any books or seeing any movies that have to do with war. I hate the aspect of war and it makes me very melancholy if I think about it too much. To make matters worse, I usually put my whole sould into a book, so it feels like I am standing there in the midst of everything that is playing out on the pages or on the screen. Honestly, I would probably panic if I was emotionally pulled into a book where bombs were going off and shot guns were inches from my head. I would not put myself towards that type of trauma.

    ReplyDelete