Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Welcome to the circus






         It was a Friday, and I was hanging up my coat in the wardrobe next to the night stand by my tiny twin sized bed. My wife Roberta says it keeps the love flowing through our old and aging veins, I don't complain because she is the only woman that could ever manage to deal with my mismatched socks and unusual box collection. She is unusual in a beautiful way with her bright red lipsticks and her love for antique shopping that we do once every month. We find the most unusual items to decorate our house or even ourselves with, we live a very lovely life. One day in particular we were on our way to go and decided to stop for some ice cream before. As we were seated Roberta looked troubled and I asked her “what is wrong my love?” she replied by saying something so captivating that I had to think before I spoke. It was not the usual reply of “oh nothing” that came and went from time to time, it was something more than that. “I had a dream that we made our lives more interesting, something more”. Her saying this made me wonder if something was terribly wrong to which I replied “well what do you mean darling?” “I’m not so sure but it felt so real” she said, and then the conversation had ended. We got in our car and left to go to the antique shop, where they announced that they had gotten their biggest shipment in from a rundown antique mall which made the adventure even better. We walked down the usual aisles and passed familiar booths and said “hello” to the older ladies that work there. Suddenly Roberta stopped me, and said “Charles, look at this box!’’ It was smaller and had black and white stripes on it, and was nothing like I had ever seen so it was a keeper. We kept walking and got a couple of other items as we passed down the long never ending aisles, we bought our findings and left before noon. When we got home I hung my coat up in the wardrobe next to the night stand by the tiny twin sized bed. I then sat down with my loving wife and looked through the bag of our purchases and found my beloved new treasure. Roberta told me to open it, so I did just that and when I did you could hear a noise, the inside of the box was entirely black and there was a bottle of some liquid that was mysteriously intriguing. On the side of the bottle it said “drink this and you will seek great adventure”, Roberta always being the optimist and using the “what have we got to lose” quote on everything already took her first drink. When I did the same we were suddenly thrown into this magical box, and there was a huge circus tent in front of us. We entered, and you could smell the buttery burnt popcorn, and hear the roars of laughter from the crowds. Every step we took was magical and strange at the same time, there were belly dancers and extremely tall men and incredibly small men. We saw our parents young and lively, our beloved friends who had gone not too long ago, they all greeted us with hugs and kisses. I looked my beautiful wife in the eyes and said, “this is it sweetie, this was our great adventure”.

5 comments:

  1. Great entry! You are a very creative writer, I wish I could think of interesting stories like this! I like how it started out like a normal day and then took a quick turn into something exciting. I think it is awesome that you thought of all of this by just looking at a box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the way you took the box and turned it into a story of two elderly people at an antique shop. The way Roberta is seeking adventure makes me think that there is a child in all of us, no matter how old we become. The last line is so emotion provoking that I had to stop and absorb it. Beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You did a great job describing the settings. I felt like I was in your story and not sitting at a computer. I also like the little details you added like that his bed was twin size. I can't wait to see what else you write about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea of a whole new world hidden in a tiny box. Maybe because I am drawn to miniatures...I'd like to have a big dollhouse and furnish it with all sorts of adorable tiny things. Silly, I know. I also like the thought of two old people who remember the younger, adventurous versions of themselves...I find that sweet and comforting and romantic...and that last line is so poignant. Also this one, which is what I would hope comes after this life: "We saw our parents young and lively, our beloved friends who had gone not too long ago, they all greeted us with hugs and kisses." Thanks, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story absolutely captivated me! It started out cute and nice, then took a sharp right turn straight into the land of adventure! The bottle in the box was reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland to me, when she drinks from the bottle and shrinks down. I absolutely adore the ending lines.

    ReplyDelete